Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bedstefar's Stæg- my favorite! Wait, you're eating what?

Bedstefar's beard.  Luckily, Danish food doesn't always match its descriptions.  My new favorite addition to my Mondays is my Danish cooking class.  It's about all I can do to make it through seven hours of classes (even though I love them all, it's a long time of learning for any person), but my Danish cooking class is definitely going to be something to look forward to at the end of the day.  There are 16 of us and we divide into groups of four, with each group assigned an entree and a dessert - yes, four desserts, extremely exciting for a person like me!

*I need to add a little caveat saying the theme of the week was "Cooking Danish on a Budget" and cabbage and potatoes happen to be extremely inexpensive in Denmark!


The menu was as follows:




Brown Cabbage with Medisterp
ølse (aka carmelized cabbage with a spicy sausage)
Served on rye bread with mustard and eaten as an open faced sandwich (with the fork in the left hand
and knife in the right at all times of course)



Brændende kærlighed (aka "Burning Love" - Mashed potatoes with crumbled up bacon, carmelized onions and a parsley/chive garnish)
Basically is the fancy Danish version of loaded mashed potatoes without the sour cream




Kylling Boller (aka chicken meatballs but made with oats, carrots, diced peppers among other things)
I know, it doesn't look like meatballs to me either, but the appearance is deceiving- they're actually really good.  These were served with Bulgur salad- almost like cold rice (but made of wheat) with tomatoes, peppers, feta, corn, and pesto (I made this one! it's similar to pasta salad)



Kål Karry (aka curried cabbage with mincemeat and vegetables over steamed rice)

.... and now for the GOOD STUFF!


Roulade with Raspberry Jam (my personal creation)!


Bedstefar's Stæg (aka Bedstefar's Beard - actually amazing though, a white cake with a layer of Strawberry Jam, topped off with merengue -- SO GOOD)!


Drømmekage (aka Dream Cake) And let me tell you, it is heavenly.  It is a white cake with a crunchy coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon topping


Asta Kage (Spice Cake) Actually looks slightly disgusting like this, but is in reality very good.  It is a spice cake with a coffee flavoring and brown sugar glaze


Needless to say, I had to be rolled to the train station after all that wonderful food.

This morning I woke up and typed up part of my Clinical Case Review (we had a full patient interview yesterday and are somehow supposed to be able to form three differential diagnoses and instruct what investigations (aka tests) to run from just getting a patient history and doing an initial clinical examination).  A very intimidating task, to say the least.  

I then headed into Copenhagen to volunteer at Studenterhuset where, because it was the day shift, I learned how to make Espresso, Cappuccino, Cafe Latte, Chai Latte, Varm Chocolade (hot chocolate), Americanos, and basically any other caffeinated beverage you can imagine.  I pretty much ABSOLUTELY LOVE this job and literally never want to leave.  The two barchiefs, David and Mikkel, who were basically in charge of teaching me the ropes are from Ireland and England and legitimately are so much fun to work with.  They are always making fun of me for being too short and for always saying "Sorry" (which I personally don't think is a bad thing, because at least you're not being rude then), and asking "for here" or "to go" instead of "drink in" or "drink out."  Personally, I don't think they should be picky with me because they're not from Denmark either so I could consider their sayings weird too!  Anddddd. It doesn't help that I am 5'1" and can't reach any drink on the top two shelves of the fridge and always need to ask for their help if people ask for them.  Regardless of all the teasing, I have a great time learning so much and meeting customers from all over the world who like to just sit and chat.  I'm only required to do three shifts a month, but I can easily see myself volunteering extra, just to meet the awesome people at Studenterhuset.

After my 5 hour shift, my friend Kaitlin met me for a belated birthday dinner at a tapas restaurant.  It was a lot of fun catching up, because we actually don't have any classes together so don't get to see eachother as much, but decided that we're going to Italy together on our last travel break (so now I have a travel buddy at all times- YAY)!  Dinner was awesome, and the day was complete when we went to the metro station and were waiting when a flash mob appeared.  Welcome to Copenhagen :)



Til imorgen!


No comments:

Post a Comment