Saturday, September 15, 2012

My first quiz at DIS was (thankfully) relatively harmless.  Unfortunately, I had missed that class on Monday so I was missing some notes, but luckily I did the readings so it helped where my notes were lacking.  I really like class after the quiz (European Storytelling) because we analyzed fairytales in movie context.  It was awesome because I'm so used to taking everything at face value, but it's interesting to see common trends in all the movies and the elements we had been talking about for so long (plus its nice to watch movie clips instead of always being lectured to).  My other classes were good: in my Medical Practice and Policy class, half the lecture was spent learning to read an ECG which is extremely involved but pretty much the coolest thing ever once you understand what information is being presented.

After my classes for the day, I rushed back to Copenhagen (because my last class is in the hospital outside of the city) to go to my first session of my European Wine Tasting Club!  Let me tell you, I am going to really love these Thursdays, not because its wine and who wouldn't love that, but because the class as a whole is so entertaining.  It's really informative and fun to learn the proper edicate and procedure for tasting the wine, but its funny because it is an epic fail for me.  Ian, the man in charge is this classy, clean cut looking Danish man who you can just tell has been doing wine tasting for years.  He explains the correct way to swirl the glass and tells us to smell the wine and asks for input as to what we smell.  People are shouting out answers like salt, minerals, eucalyptus, and then crazy things like raw meat, plastic, asphalt, etc.  Meanwhile I'm sitting here and I'm smelling and I'm like, "Yeah, smells like a white wine to me."  Pretty sure if we got grades, I would fail.  But its a really fun experience and even after just the first session, I am so so so excited that I decided to do it.

Friday was an interesting day for me, because I had been telling my host mom earlier in the week that I wanted to take my bike out and explore Hvidovre, the town I live in, and she offered to show me around.  I wake up Friday morning and it is POURING, and pour myself a cup of coffee, sit down at the breakfast table, and strike up casual conversation with Sigrun, at which point she asks me when I want to leave.  Yup.  Even with it pouring, we still went on this bike ride around our town- I don't think they have the concept of "raincheck" here.  Mind you, it's 55 degrees outside and windy.  Not exactly my idea of a "casual bike ride exploring Hvidovre," but actually a fun experience nonetheless.  In Denmark, with the weather as unpredictable as it is, if you cancelled plans every time it rained, you'd be sitting inside all the time.

After the bike ride, I finally come back and to warm up take a shower, where I find a MASSIVE bug in there.  They come inside in the cold weather.  Mind you, this thing is a good three inches long, no exaggeration I promise (see below).  Apparently, thanks to the fact that we leave the windows open at all times and they don't have screens, these critters and I are going to become extremely friendly.



Sigrun had to work the late shift so it was up to me to cook dinner for Tonje and myself, and I made an alfredo sauce with fresh pasta and laks (smoked salmon) ontop, apparently a traditional Danish meal- Sigrun left me with the instructions on how to cook it (although the only cooking part was boiling the pasta and making the sauce). Not to toot my own horn, but it actually turned out pretty good!  After dinner, I met my friends Morgan and Eric in Copenhagen for the night.



Til imorgen!

No comments:

Post a Comment