Sunday, September 16, 2012

Oh what a productive weekend

So Saturday was a "lazy day" for me, meaning I didn't actually get dressed for the day until after lunch time.  In my defense, I did wake up at 9:00 and actually did work all morning.  As a result of Saturday morning and this morning, I now have all my reading done up to October 29, all of my research done for my group project, all of my journal entries done for medical ethics, and all my notes typed up as a study guide for my exam a week from tomorrow.  Yeah, actually productive!

After I did work all morning and into the afternoon, I went for a nice long run a couple of times around the lake near my house, just to clear my head.  The rest of the night I spent relaxing and watching TV (Danish of course so I actually had no idea what was going on) with my host sister and then cooking dinner.

Today I woke up and cooked breakfast for my host family.  It ended up being french toast, bacon, and pancakes.  I would say it ended up being pretty good- I know I definitely enjoyed it.  I then did a little work and went into Copenhagen.  I just kind of wandered around Nyhavn and then went to church.

Church was very interesting.  Luckily, I found a church that offered English masses, so I understood most of the very thick accents, but it was interesting because the church was absolutely packed.  Also, the majority of the priest's sermon was him cracking jokes which I didn't understand but everyone laughed at.  Overall, it was a really nice atmosphere, and when the Our Father was said, the people on either side of me automatically grabbed my hands to pray together.  Definitely a nice feeling of connectedness.

After church I volunteered at Studenterhuset which was a great time.  I met people today from Greece, Amsterdam, Belgium, London, and Finland.  It's amazing the different stories you hear and how friendly everyone is (and how good at English they all are)!  Also, I learned two different drinks today. The first was a white Russian- 1 shot of vodka, 1 shot of Kahlua, and milk.  I also learned that if you take 2/3 of a really dark ale and 1/3 of citron (an organic lemony soda), it actually doesn't taste half bad.    I'm on my way to becoming a barista, learning the ropes of the steamer and I actually discovered where the hot water comes out!

Anyway, no pictures today, sorry but I'll try for more next post!  Tomorrow is my first Danish Cooking Class - "Cooking Danish on a Budget."  Exactly what I need!

Til imorgen!

No comments:

Post a Comment