Monday, September 24, 2012

Somehow made it back alive

Hi everyone!

Sorry it's been so long since the last post, but I spent the weekend biking across the beautiful Danish island of Bornholm!  Friday was a pretty typical day spent running all over Copenhagen, doing work, packing, and I actually discovered this huge international fair in the square by my school that sells all these different foods, pastries, candies, and even Fudge from the UK!  Obviously it made me so excited!  Luckily for my figure (but not for my stomach), they only take cash and I had none of that on me!  Don't worry, though, I promised the gyro man I would be back tomorrow!




I cooked dinner for my host family that night, and met my group to catch the midnight overnight ferry from Koge to Bornholm. It was a 5.5 hour ride, and was just one step down from the comfort level of an eight hour plane ride without the complimentary food.  We got into Bornholm and drove another hour and a half to our hostel, at which point breakfast was served and we were given our bikes.  That day, I managed to bike almost 50 miles across the island of Bornholm, seeing the beautiful countryside and cute coastal towns.  We went to Akirkeby, Deuodde Strand (the sounthernmost tip of Bornholm with sand so white and fine that it's exported all over the world for hourglasses), Nexo, and Svaneke (an old fishing village where we had to experience smoked herring).

my version of an eye mask

reclining chairs for us to sleep in for the night

Just stopping to say hi to some cows

The beautiful beach!


Random kick boxing class in the middle of Nexo

Just in case they want to relax on the docks

Finally made it to Svaneke!


The very (un)appetizing smoked herring


On day two of the bike ride (honestly I have no idea how we made it to day two), we explored the northwestern part of the island which included the Sacred Cliffs, spelunking in a coastal cave, hiking to find a (nonexistent) waterfall, and discovering the oldest Medieval fortress in all of Europe!  We then headed back to Copenhagen later that day, and spent the entire trip back stressing over our first exam in  our core course (which was today).  Let me tell you, all the stress was for absolutely nothing.  I (fingers crossed) hope I rocked the test.  

spelunking!

Climbing on the cliffs!

pathway down to the sacred cliffs!

view from the bottom


one of the gorgeous views along the coast

Hammershus!


After class today, I had my Danish cooking class where we made "Brain food"  ranging from different types of fish to beans to blueberry desserts!

Salmon and veggies!

mackrel and potatoe salad

Our preparation of bean and feta salad, fisk frikadeller, and homemade remoulade


Til imorgen!

No comments:

Post a Comment