Saturday, September 1, 2012

"I can see Sweden from my backyard..."

Friday was an amazing day.  I woke up early in the morning and did some work, then I headed into Copenhagen where I finally got my bike, basket, lights, helmet, and bell- DIS likes to make sure we won't be taking advantage of their insurance policy haha.  I then actually made it from the place where I rented my bike to the center of Copenhagen and walked around, just kind of exploring until it was time for my shift at Studenterhuset to begin.

The event at Stduenterhuset was a big "after party" after the Opening Ceremony for the University of Copenhagen students (especially the freshmen).  There was the main event at Studenterhuset and then four other locations throughout Copenhagen the students (including DIS students) could go to.  I was at one of the outer locations, so my job was working the bar and checking to make sure the people who came in were students.  Of the other volunteers, three were DIS students, and two were KU students (one from Italy and one from London).  The entire shift was an awesome experience.  I've learned from working the bar that after the Danes get a few beers in them, they get much more friendly and are actually fascinated with Americans, always wanting to ask more questions and chat.  I'm going to love this job, because it will definitely allow me to meet more international students instead of all the American DIS students.  

Verrrrry early this morning, I woke up and met the bus in Copenhagen which would take me to Sweden to rock climb on the coast!  Definitely some of the best money I have ever spent.  Not only was the view beautiful, but it is such an experience rock climbing, overcoming your fear of heights, and bonding with the people in your group, helping each other and cheering each other on.  After progressively increasing the climb difficulties, I also learned to belay, so I was actually holding other people's lives in my hand. Slightly intimidating but no mishaps!  


We climbed the vertical rock to the left- so much harder than it actually looks

My friend, Hannah and one of the many awkward positions you had to do to make it to the top

If it were warm enough, we would normally jump off this red cliff into the ocean :)

Success! 

Just another view from the top- pretty beautiful.. if you look close enough you can see Denmark in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment