Friday, August 31, 2012

Wednesday was a beautiful day, even by US standards, so after doing a lot of homework in the morning I decided to go for a nice long run, and spent the time exploring my neighborhood.  Believe it or not, for the first time I didn't get lost (which is good because halfway through I realized I had my iPhone for music, but it would be no help in placing an actual call to my host mom).  The rest of that day was spent going grocery shopping, where I actually can tell that my Danish vocabulary is increasing, and then we had a nice dinner of something similar to an alfredo sauce over fresh fetuccini.  It was an overall relaxing day for me, and I spent a lot of it getting ready for class on Thursday.

Yesterday was a very long day, but not necessarily in a bad way.  I got up early and got ready for school, and headed into the city early, grabbing a tea and hanging out in the Library going over the readings before class.  I have figured out that I'm really going to enjoy this semester of classes, especially seeing my professor's views on certain American customs and past (political) actions.  I've learned (especially in my political science class), not to get offended with some of the jokes about America that they tend to say, and in actual reality they are kind of funny.  Even though my professor has smart comments to say, they still respect our country greatly and make sure to acknowledge that fact.  Either way, it's definitely entertaining.

Last night, for the first time, I had a dinner that wasn't necessarily my 'cup of tea.'  I've been very good at not being picky, especially because I never eat ham or pork when I'm in the states, but realized that its a big staple in the Danish diet.  Dinner last night however, was veal and pork meatballs boiled in water with curry sauce served over white rice.  I was able to get down enough bites to be polite, but it wasn't on my list of favorites (although it was probably just the fact that it was baby cow and if I hadn't known, I'd have probably liked it).  Sooner or later I had to run into something I didn't particularly love anyway.  I did find out there are three types of chicken you can eat in Denmark though- the hen, the rooster, and the chick.  I learned the other day that the lunchmeat I've been eating on my sandwich (known to me as general chicken) is the third option.  That one definitely caught me off guard, but luckily they have a pretty big supply of lachs (salmon) that I've been making sandwiches for lunch out of too, and I'm sure i'll get over it and keep eating it anyway.

Today will be my first day of volunteering at Studenterhuset and I can't be more excited!

Til imorgen!

No comments:

Post a Comment