Sunday, August 19, 2012

My new family!

This post is going to be very short because it was a very long day and a lot happened, but I am exhausted and have to wake up early tomorrow (so apologies in advance)!

We woke up and went to the airport to send Dani back to the US, unfortunately, and then Soren and I spent some time in a cafe, just to waste some time before I went to meet the DIS representatives.  When we finally got there, we signed in, received very important information, and then sat through an orientation.  After that we sat in a room off to the side all together and chatted while we waited for our host families to arrive.  One by one they called us in to the main room as our families arrived and we met for the first time!  Eventually, it was my turn and I got to meet Sigrun and Tonje for the first time!  They are both so friendly and speak extremely good English, which of course, I was a little nervous about.

When we left the airport, we headed to Hvidovre, my new home for the next four months and stopped along the way to see different places where members of the family lived and similar things.  We then dropped off my bags and walked two minutes down the street to the grocery store.  This was actually a very interesting experience, because it is not that easy to tell what some of the things are, so a lot of translating was occurring.  It was nice of Sigrun to take me shopping because this was our way of figuring out what kind of food I like and they like and deciding what would be good for meals for the day.

We then ate lunch and actually went to the gym!  Sigrun has a family membership so I get to go there for no extra charge which is awesome!  At the gym we met Lone, Sigrun's sister in law.  When we got back, we went for a tour of the apartment building where I learned how the laundry system works (actually fairly complicated) and where I can store my bike for safekeeping.  We then had dinner and after dinner, Sigrun took me into Copenhagen on the train to my first classroom, so I could figure out how to get to and from school every day.

This actually took allll day and I am just now able to sit down and will be going to sleep very soon because Opening Ceremony is early tomorrow morning.  I am expecting to unpack sometime tomorrow hopefully and truly get settled in my new home.  More to come tomorrow!!

Til imorgen!

No comments:

Post a Comment