Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Getting into the swing of things

Monday was my second real day of school, and we definitely hit the ground running.  My lectures are about 1.5 hours long, but its nice because they give a short break in the middle to make them more bearable.  I've also discovered that here at DIS, they really like to do group projects, so for my EU-US relations class I've already been assigned a research project and a group (although we didn't actually get a chance to meet for that yet).  I was a little nervous about my medical ethics class because I am about the furthest thing you can get from being philosophical, but its actually a pretty good class, and I'm doing okay with participating in the class discussions (which are already getting heated about certain topics- that class will definitely keep me awake).  

My European Storytelling class is going to be an interesting situation because my professor actually just talks about the old fairytales/wondertales and then explains how Disney basically butchered them so that they no longer serve their purpose (to educate children of morals by scaring the crap out of them).  I know more than one of us in the class had a very hard time listening to someone telling us our favorite childhood stories are lies haha. Definitely will be an interesting one.

And finally, I had my Human Health and Disease class at the Hospital and we had our very first patient!  We got to take the patient's history and do a full clinical examination all on our own- kind of intimidating for only the second day of class, but the patient was the sweetest old lady who was such a trooper.  I definitely love being able to have the hands-on clinical experience, and I think this class is going to be absolutely amazing!!

After that class, I thought it was a great day... until I realized I got on the right bus... heading in the wrong direction.  My newly developed city girl decided not to panic (due to the fact I had been oblivious and had absolutely no idea where I was) and just get off at the next stop and take a bus going in the other direction.  Of course it doesn't work like that and there's a separate station for the opposite direction that was nowhere to be found, so I basically took a bus to the nearest train station and took that home instead.  Definitely a little mess up, but I got home safe and sound and that's all that matters!

Today was pretty relaxed.  I went into the city pretty early and got a lot of work done while sitting at Studenterhuset just relaxing with my tea.  I also attempted to get my bike, although they didn't have my bike basket and I figured I should wait to pick it up until I had that because me biking in Copenhagen for the first time while holding onto my schoolbag didn't seem like the smartest idea.  I then had my volunteer meeting at Studenterhuset and I am so ridiculously pumped to start working!  Not only will I learn to bartend and be a barista, but we get ridiculously good discounts and free coffee/tea whenever we want, along with free admission to any events they have, and all of this is a result of putting in only 3 shifts a month, anywhere from 12-15 hours.  Definitely can't complain about that one.  And the best part is, when the University of Copenhagen classes start in a week, even more Danish students will be coming in, so I will definitely have more opportunities to meet Danes my age!!!!

Til imorgen!

No comments:

Post a Comment