Sunday, August 26, 2012

Saturday I was finally able to get into a groove I was used to: I woke up early, had some breakfast and relaxed, doing reading for school still in my pajamas.  I eventually took a break and got a shower and then made Rice Crispy Treats for the birthday party I would be attending for Sigrun's grandson, Alfred.     We headed over to the party in the afternoon, and I experienced for the first time the Danish birthday traditions.  We all sat down at the table and had hot chocolate with homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top (obviously in my opinion it was amazing).  We then had rolls with butter.  After the rolls were done, we sang happy birthday to Alfred, although the Danish song is, without exaggeration, at least four times longer than the English birthday song.  Also, the traditional Danish birthday cake is more like strawberry shortcake with a filling similar to that in Boston Creme Pie.  I ate every last bite!

After that, Alfred opened his presents then little by little all the guests left until it was just a few of us.  I spent a lot of time becoming Alfred's new friend (with the obvious language barriers), and then we sat down to watch TV, and you can imagine my surprise when "Grease" came on in English and everything!  We just hung out watching that, and I taught Tonje how to do the waterfall braid on her sister's hair.  Definitely a night you can describe as hyggeligt :)

This morning was similar, waking up and doing some work while having a relaxed breakfast.  I also ran to the grocery store for the first time (I should have paid more attention to what the Danish words for various foods were)! I somehow made it out alright though.  I then went into the city and applied for what is equivalent to a Danish Social Security Card, except this card would also provide me with free doctor visits and prescriptions (although free in this case is relative because of the enormous taxes the citizens of Denmark pay for this benefit).  I almost didn't make it on the bus to take us there in time because I decided to try finding my way without a map.  Not the best idea I've had.  After that, I just shopped on the walking street for various essentials I'd been trying to live without.

A view walking home from getting the Danish SSC.
Love how it's a typical Danish view, but is gorgeous.  I'll never get used to it..

When I got home, it was determined that I would be cooking dinner for the night as I had previously offered.  This was determined to be Chicken Parmesan-a dish every guest had never had before! I actually couldn't believe it!  Although the ingredients weren't the specific brand Mom-mom always uses, I was able to make do with the Danish versions and I think it turned out well!  Sigrun had her nephew Nikolas over and it was nice to talk to someone my age- Tonje is still a teenager and is a little shy when it comes to talking to me still.  The night was an overall success, and it has been decided I will cook dinner once a week for everyone, if possible!

Til imorgen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment