Saturday, August 18, 2012

København!


Today, we brought it back to where it all began and explored Denmark's largest city, København (or to us Americans Copenhagen), where I will be spending the next four months of my life.  In just one city, you can be taken back hundreds of years and then flash forward to the current day with modern shops and buildings.  They have a long pedestrian street in the middle of the city with shopping on either side, and cute booths set up along the way with food to snack on.  It was here where I found what will be the death of me- Danish Pancakes with Nutella and bananas- heaven!  


We took a canal tour of København and saw many important ministries, churches, the Navy yard, the Queen's residence, the Little Mermaid, and other typical tourist sites throughout the city (but by boat of course)! Søren was an Admiral in the Royal Navy so he was able to add a lot of interesting background information to the whole tour.  
After the cruise, the rest of the day was spent wandering around the city and window shopping until we finally made our way to Tivoli Gardens.  It is similar to happening upon Central Park in the middle of New York, except much smaller, and it has some carnival rides.  It has beautiful gardens and the most extensive lights at night.  I got to ride a roller coaster and bumper cars with Claus which was such a fun time, and then at the end of the day we had a farewell dinner at Grøften, one of the restaurants inside Tivoli.  
Tivoli by day
Tivoli by night

I must say, this week has been an amazing experience for me, and I have met the best people ever, and am so grateful to be able to call them my family.  The Danes as a whole are the most hospitable, genuine, caring people, and I am so glad to have this opportunity to spend time with them and to meet more Danes in the next four months.  This experience is going to be truly amazing, and regardless of what the Danes tell me, the wind, rain, and darkness will not be something that will keep me from having what I'm sure will be the best time of my life.  


Tomorrow I am officially registering with DIS and meeting my host mom, Sigrun.  I am so nervous to be suddenly thrown in to this new environment with people I don't know, but I am sure that after a little adjustment, it will end up being an experience I will never forget! 

Til imorgen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment