Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Day of School!

"First day of school! First day of school!"  When I woke up this morning, all I could think about was Nemo singing that song over and over.  It was a beautiful morning to wake up to however, so it was definitely starting the day off right. I was so nervous for school, that I got into Copenhagen at 8:57 when my school day doesn't even start until 10:05.  I used this as a (very weak) excuse to stop in Skt. Peder's Bageri (Saint Peter's Bakery) which I was told is rumored to have some of the best Weinerbrod in the area.  Obviously I had to test this theory!  Unfortunately, one of my biggest fears is that I'm going to eat my weight in pastries (and it's not too far flung of a concern)!

When I finally started my school day, it went even better than I could have imagined.  I have four classes back to back.  They are, European Storytelling: From Homer to Harry Potter, Partners and Rivals: EU-US Relations, Medical Ethics, and Human Health and Disease: A Clinical Approach.  One of the things that struck me most in these classes was how relaxed and laid back the environment was and the teachers are.  They all INSIST that you call them by their first names (Something I know I'm going to struggle with), and they understand the American tendency to put serious weight on grades, but want our focus to be more on understanding the material and engaging in it, which is so refreshing to hear.

My core course class is one of which I am so extremely excited for.  It is similar to applied physiology with case studies and we will be learning techniques such as taking vitals, inserting IVs, and learning to suture.  Also, this class is taught in an actual hospital by actual doctors: Anita, a General Practitioner, and Jesper, a cardiothorassic surgeon (they also happen to be married).  They teach in such an engaging way, I know it will be so easy to forget the normal pressures of a classroom setting.  In addition, I will be traveling with my class to Svendborg and Ribe in Denmark, and Vienna and Budapest.  There is absolutely no way this class could get better.

I came back home at the end of the day, and by this time it was 6:30, and the rest of the night was spent having a nice relaxed dinner with my host mom and sister, organizing my syllabi and readings for the next week, and making sure everyone in America know's I'm still alive and haven't gotten hit by a Danish biker!

Sorry there are no pictures today, I was more focused on not getting lost and being late to class!


Til imorgen!


No comments:

Post a Comment