Friday, November 9, 2012

La Vita Bella

(Everything I need! - and my goodluck turtle from Peggy!)

So its accurate to say that I've already made great travel decisions.  I had an overnight layover in London, so I stayed at this nice, cozy hotel a few minutes outside of the airport, and it literally made me want to just skip my connecting flight the next morning and spend a few more days in London. (Luckily, however I ended up catching my flight and getting to Naples- more on that in a little)!  I loved London so much because it was so refreshing to have conversations with people who know English as their first language.  It made me laugh though, because it reminded me of a conversation I had with someone in Copenhagen.  I told them I only speak English and they replied, 'No you speak American.' I almost fell over trying not to literally laugh out loud, because I thought it was a ridiculous statement to make, but in my first exposure to the rhetoric in London, I realized just how true that statement really was.  I was immediately obsessed with the accents and just couldn't get enough.

All too soon, however I had to wake up and catch my flight to Naples.  We spent a good amount of time on the tarmac and our boarding was delayed, however, so I got into Naples much later than I had expected.  I 'checked' in to my hostel, but it was more of like a very large home with kids my age everywhere just hanging out.  The man that greeted me is named Giovanni, and he might be the coolest old man ever, I could see him being an adopted grandfather: he took care of everything for me and even gave me a ten minute lecture on how to stay safe in the city etc.  Before taking care of any kind of money or passports, he sat me down and asked my plans.  He explained it wouldn't be worth it to go to Pompeii, because it gets dark at 5:30 here and I didn't have enough time with the commutes.  So instead he whipped out a map of Naples and proceeded to highlight a perfect route for me around the city and explained every stop along the way.  Somehow it allowed me to see more than I would have ever expected to see in one day.  I came back a little bit after the sun had set and am now hanging out in the hostel with about 15 people around my age from alllll over.  Everyone is just hanging out and drinking some wine, waiting for dinner to get ready.  Yup, that's right.  Giovanni is also cooking us all homemade Italian dinner.  Absolutely cannot wait!! I'll let you know how it is next time!
They already have Christmas markets!!!

Homemade towns, from natural materials - actual bark, tree branches, and terra cotta made by hand.
They also have nativity scenes, and they all have flowing water, lights, and some even have moving people/animals

The biggest Piazza in all of Europe.  Piazza del Plebiscito.

A Huge, gorgeous, indoor market, with domed glass ceilings.  

Maschio Angioino

A view from along the harbor - you can see Vesuvius on the horizon.  

The other half of Napoli, and the (very small) beach where I dipped my toes in the Tyrrhenian Sea!


Til imorgen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment